Basic Premise: Ha! I just looked up the name of the main demon character in Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom to explain the setup…and found that his name is also Chikage. XD Now that I’m done laughing: the premises are very similar. In exchange for marrying and having a child with a supernatural creature, the main character will be protected from all others wishing to use her blood/power for their own ends.
- The story is well translated, has several funny moments, and executes some of my less favorite tropes well.
- The MC’s slight sass, direct chattiness, and willingness to involve herself with others contrasted with Chikage’s detachment had me grinning the entire time. I love this girl, and I love the central relationship.
- The fairy tales referenced have the original darker endings.
- The music fits the scenes. I usually mute Voltage games, but I left the volume up for this one.
- In the prolog, the MC isn’t particularly reasonable, proactive, or self-possessed. Chikage puts it best: “What are you, an idiot?”
- The main antagonist is unnecessary.
- As in all well-done love triangle scenarios, you may wish the MC ends up with the rejected suitor rather than Chikage. It didn’t bother me at all, but YMMV.
Bottom Line: Highly recommended.